Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bad model of a School Principal

Students trying to save School CatSep 24, '08 5:46 PM
for everyone

I saw a group of secondary school students standing near the MRT station, one of them holding a cat… a pregnant female.

When I approached them they offered me the cat, saying that their school was going to send her to SPCA... probably because she was pregnant. The students didn’t know what to do now. Seems that this friendly cat is well loved by the students and has been in the school compounds for quite some time.

I arranged to meet the girls at the school gate. We spoke to the principal and I offered to get the cat sterilised and then return her back. I also offered my help if there would be any cat-related problems. The principal was worried that more cats would be dumped if he allowed this one to stay but in the end he agreed to allow her to stay so that the children will also learn to be kind to animals.

However, he changed his mind soon after and called me while I was on the way home with the cat…saying that the students were not willing to take responsibility for the cat and that the cat had also caused problems at the canteen… he was not open to suggestions of solving the problem. He insisted that if I didn’t take the cat it would be sent to SPCA.

The Principal also said that SPCA gave talks at the school and told them to send in stray cats, as they would be taking care of them. Perhaps SPCA should be more direct and explain what will happen to the many cats they receive…. but I think this is more a case of people not wanting to know the truth.

Anyway, the cat will be sterilised tomorrow…