Monday, December 20, 2010

Give abandoned pets a second chance



The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.com
Published on Dec 20, 2010

Give abandoned pets a second chance


I REFER to Mrs Nicole Simon's letter ("Want a Rabbit Year pet? Be sure you can be a good owner"; Dec 5) and fully agree that considerable thought should be put into welcoming any animal into a home. It is a long-term commitment to care for it and abandonment or neglect should never be an option.

I recently adopted a lovely two-year-old Lionhead Lop rabbit from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and I encourage adoption as the first option when looking for a pet. It is more meaningful to save an abandoned pet than buying one from a pet store. And age should not be a deterrent; my rabbit is just as lovely and well-behaved as a baby rabbit. Do give these abandoned pets a second chance.

I also encourage the public to do some research on the type of animal they are interested in before deciding if it is suitable. I bought a book on rabbit care so that I would know best how to care for my rabbit.

Dr Evelyn Khong