This community cat, Choco, was found with a badly rotten foot. He has been a regular at Blk 657 Choa Chu Kang Crescent. His caregiver recalls having started feeding him since 7 years ago. Poor Choco is very mild tempered and reserved but has often been the victim of bully by other community cats. He has suffered a serious eye injury long ago but manage to allow it to heal back by itself. However this resulted in the eye turning opaque and and thus impaired. Choco has been surviving with one eye ever since.

On the night of 20th April, the caregiver found Choco walking with a severe limp. Upon closer inspection of his hind foot, the caregiver found out there were abscesses and pus and a badly bleeding wound. There was also sight of maggots. The caregiver felt heavily dismayed and tried to clean up the wound but to no avail. In addition, Choco's fur was extremely ruffled and dirty. He seemed to be traumatised and went into hiding quickly. The caregiver immediately contacted others for help.

Upon receiving her call, I immediately went to the area to meet the caregiver. However, Choco was no where to be found. For the next few days, he did not come out at all during feeding time.

Finally, on the night of 24th April, I received a call again from the caregiver saying Choco has appeared and I immediately went over with a carrier. His wound has gotten worse. The flesh has rotted all the way to the ankle, leaving behind visible bone and black necrotic tissue. Maggots were crawling out from under the skin. I opened the door to the carrier and placed it beside Choco. After a few weak meows, Choco voluntarily hopped with his 3 fine legs into the carrier and laid down, as if fully understanding our intentions.

On the morning of 25th April, I immediately brought Choco to The Joyous Vet, located at Sunshine Place, Choa Chu Kang. The vet said that the foot could not be saved and has to be amputated. However, he has to be monitored for a week as his current condition was not stable, and the wound has to be cleaned up. A blood test will also need to be done to check for any underlying issues before the surgery can proceed. The vet estimates that the total cost will add up to $1200.00 (One thousand and two hundred). The vet will update me in 1 week's time to discuss Choco's condition and the decision to proceed with the surgery.

As of now, I have placed a deposit of $500. However, the amount has to be topped up before the vet can proceed with the surgery. There is a severe lack of funds amongst the caregivers and we urgently appeal for help so that the vet can carry on with the surgery. Having survived more than 1 week with a rotting leg, Choco has an extremely strong will to live. We do not want to deny him this chance and his efforts in pulling through.

We urgently appeal for assistance for Choco to continue with his treatment and surgery. Choco will also need to stay in a foster home post-surgery to recuperate before he can be put back into the community.

Please contact me at or 97822220 if you are able to help.

Thank you.

26/4/12 UPDATE:  Dr Tan has kindly offered to write up a report on her assessment of Choco. I have attached it here.