Monday, February 2, 2009

Points of View on Stray Cats/Dogs

TODAY
Voices
Monday • February 2, 2009

Points of View

I am a cat caregiver in Ang Mo Kio North. I have spent thousands of dollars spaying street cats and sending them to vets for medical treatment.

Some are badly abused and injured by vehicles. If there are complaints, I will remove the cat and put it elsewhere such as a pet farm. I use my own savings and don’t receive public donations.

I have put in much effort, time and money, and the AVA should understand this and act appropriately with care and consideration.

Ms Winnie Tan



I have looked after multiple stray cats over five decades and wish to know what “hygiene concerns and physical threats” the AVA is referring to.

Thanks to the Primary Production Department/AVA, Singapore has been rabies-free for the past 55 years.

We should allow cats in HDB flats and the stray cat problem may be resolved faster than with the use of culling.

Pet ownership has to be taught and irresponsible owners must be fined.

Dogs are allowed in HDB flats, why not cats? Dogs are no more ‘nomadic’ than cats. Constant repetition that cats are ‘nomadic’ does not make that a fact.

D Chan