Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Healthy trees in Pasir Ris get chopped down

MY PAPER TUESDAY APRIL 28, 2009
MY SAY



Healthy trees in Pasir Ris get chopped down

IT WAS reported that the temperature in Singapore was above 35 deg C on April 18.

Everyone everywhere is complaining all the time about how hot the weather is.

However, little do they know that we humans are the cause.

I live in Block 580, Pasir Ris Street 53. It used to be clean and green, and I could see beautiful trees outside my window.

I would tell my children that it is thanks to the trees that we have fresh air and shade.

My son knows that the evaporation from a single large tree produces the cooling effect of 10 air-conditioning units.

Many adults do not know this fact and neither does the Pasir Ris Town Council.

I say this because town-councilworkers have been cutting down healthy trees in my estate, despite my appeals to the contrary.

My daughter asked why “naughty workers” were cutting down the trees which she had known since she was young. She asked if they were “sick”.

How could I explain to her that humans sometimes destroy things for their own convenience?

We do not own this planet – we share it with all living things, including trees.

Without trees, humans cannot survive.

Sometimes, I wish the trees could rise up against humans, just like in the movie, The Lord Of The Rings.

I appeal to the town council to stop cutting down healthy trees. Save our trees and save the human race.

Ms Alice Tan Zhen Zhi