Saturday, June 13, 2009

Puppy mills may be behind dumping of pets

The Straits Times
STForum Online
June 13, 2009
Puppy mills may be behind dumping of pets

I REFER to Wednesday's letter by Ms Irene Low, 'Punish those who mistreat and abandon pets'. I agree that abandonment of pets is on the rise these days.

The culprits are not restricted to owners. They also include breeders who run puppy mills.

I am a volunteer with an animal shelter which took in many puppies from such mills. Their condition was similar to that of the dogs found in Pasir Ris Park.

I have been asked many times why we took them in. 'Doesn't it encourage them to breed more?' My answer is that if we do not, the poor dogs will be left to die on the street.

These dogs have never gone beyond the puppy mill compound. Their chance of survival is near zero when they are left out there. It is as bad as murder. I always shudder at the thought of the many we did not manage to rescue.

It is high time such unethical breeders were taken to task. Perhaps the authorities should step up enforcement action against them. One way is to make it mandatory for them to register their breeding dogs and step up checks on their living conditions.

As society progresses to be more gracious, I hope more will stop patronising such mills and they will eventually cease to exist.

Elektra Xu Qiu Lin (Miss)