Thursday, August 26, 2010

AVA should take action
















The Straits Times
STForum Online

Aug 26, 2010
AVA should take action

WORDS cannot describe how I felt when I found out last Friday about the pomeranian dog which was beaten to death at the void deck of an HDB block in Sengkang ("Dog beaten to death in Sengkang").

I have always been proud to live in Singapore - a modern country known for its strict laws against crime.

However, I have noticed that lately, the Government - particularly the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) - has been less harsh with punishments meted out to animal abusers.

I implore the AVA to take action against animal abusers.

To fellow Singaporeans, please stand up for what is right, and take the initiative to speak up when you see something amiss.

Dogs are man's best friend and ally, with their great instincts and loyalty. They are part of society and life.

If the AVA and the Government take action to promote animal welfare, working hand in hand with animal welfare organisations, I am confident this will influence the public favourably.

Michelle Eugene Nathalie (Ms)