Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sebastian, a duck with wheels!

Sebastian, a duck with wheels!
Sent in by: Sharon, Sebastian's human


One summer night this tiny yellow duckling was crawling & struggling to walk across the sidewalk. Some cruel person didn't think her life was worth anything and threw her out with the garbage. She had cuts and scrapes all over her tiny body. To make matters worse for this little duckling, her legs were deformed, she was handicapped, her legs bend & she couldn't stand up and walk, so I took her to the doctor to see if anything could be done for her legs to give her a chance at life, but they wanted to put her to sleep they said nothing could be done.

I said no, I won't put this little duck to sleep. I named her Sebastian, not knowing if she was a boy or a girl. She turned out to be a girl duck and I took her home. That was 11 years ago. I guess the doctor didn't think anybody would care for this little duck... I couldn't find her a home or an organization that would take her so I had to keep her myself. I became her mother and she my child and I must say what a great job I did. I unselfishly and unconditionally love Sebastian... I added 10 years to Sebastian's life that otherwise she would not have had if not for my love and my own sacrifice, no time off and no vacations, it's hard work & total dedication round the clock.

Sebastian is the love of my life I just love Sebastian so much words cannot describe it. Her life is filled with love, hugs and kisses everyday, since she is handicapped I have to do everything for her it's a lot of work and dedication but I don't mind one bit because of the strong love I have for this duck, we both love each other so much and are so bonded. My husband builted Sebastian a wheelchair although she can't move it she doesn't mind sitting in it to be near me while I do housework.


Sebastian has her own bedroom and sleeps in a playpen on baby blankets, she needs to be kept on soft surfaces so she doesn't get sores on her hocks, her hocks are wrapped in self grip to prevent sores, our day begins with good morning & happy to see you kisses, then I changed the blankets she was sleeping on all night with clean fresh ones, then after that I go and get her breakfast ready, she knows I making it because she starts quacking up a storm, after breakfast she will take a nap, after the nap comes more blanket changes and lunch, after lunch I will put her in the kiddie pool for her daily bath & swim when she ready to come out I put her in her outdoor pen where she preens herself and enjoys the sunshine, I begin her laundry by washing all her towels & blankets and I scrub out her playpen clean, after several hours of being outside in her pen, I take her out and hold her on my lap for some petting and play time or we just sit on the grass and play, now it's toward the evening I feed her dinner her tummy is full...I can sit and relax for a while until later when I give her a snack before she goes to bed kiss her good night shut the lights and start all over again the next day... I want to say thank you for all the wonderful & touching comments everyone has expressed towards Sebastian.

When you have a pet that is handicapped and you unconditionally take care of that pet, the love that you receive back is so much worth the work that it takes to care for them. Never give up on your beloved pets that can no longer walk. They deserve every chance that a human does, because all forms of life are precious. - Sharon