Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Where's the soul?

“If [man] is not to stifle human feelings, he must practice kindness toward animals, for he who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals.”
Immanuel Kant, 1724-1804Lectures on EthicsI thank you for your kind attention























TODAY

Elderly man robbed while in distress
05:55 AM May 04, 2010
Letter from Raymond Lo Wan Mou

IN HIS May Day message, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong called on Singaporeans to work together to sustain growth.

I would say it is equally important that Singaporeans must have a soul in them.

My life-threatening experience on Feb 21 showed otherwise, alas. Not only was I - as a 71-year-old taxi driver - ignored by passers-by when I lay on the grass verge at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 for about half an hour, I was also robbed of my night's driving income in my distress.

I was subsequently hospitalised for three days for a suspected heart attack.

Such uncaring and unconcerned attitudes must change, and fast, so Singapore can be known as a caring society.

We must start a culture of caring for people from a very young age, reinforce this value at pre-school age, and continue through tertiary education.

If we acquire a caring culture, our future will be secure.