We, the undersigned, appeal to you to review your method of controlling the pigeon population in Singapore.
Presently, pest controllers are engaged to poison the birds. This method should be abolished for the following reasons:
1. Studies have shown that not only does culling fail to reduce the pigeon population, it actually increases it. This is because pigeons control their population by the amount of food available. When food supply remains constant, surviving pigeons thrive and reproduce more.
2. Poisoned food for the pigeons may harm other animals and even children, who may unwittingly play with or even consume it.
3. It is a modern myth that pigeons are detrimental to human health. Chances of us being struck by lightning or getting diseases from eating farmed animals like chickens and pigs are much greater than getting ill through contact with pigeons. Pigeons, being revered as 'birds of peace', have lived alongside humans for thousands of years. If they truly are disease-carriers, our ancestors would not have engaged them as 'postmen'. Nor would pigeon racing have become a favourite sport.
4. We are outraged that our hard-earned money is spent on such a cruel and ineffective method. The money used to pay pest controllers should be channelled to wiser, kinder and more constructive purposes.
5. The sight of lives being killed can be extremely haunting to young children and may have very negative effects on their emotional health.
6. By killing living beings that are deemed a nuisance to us, we are inculcating our young with absolutely wrong values. We are encouraging intolerance and destroying seeds of compassion. Quoting Mahatma Gandhi, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." The government wants Singapore to bloom into a gracious society, yet being the leader, it is doing exactly the opposite and advocating cruelty and barbarism.
It is obvious that the conceived pigeon problem stems from food available, not the pigeons themselves. Therefore, instead of killing the birds, we urge you to designate feeding areas and step up enforcement of the no-pigeon-feeding law in non-feeding areas:
a. Create zones where feeding is allowed.
b. Provide more prominent signages that advise against feeding of pigeons in non-feeding zones.
c. Assign personnel at reported hotspots to catch and fine feeders in the act.
d. Remind people that food should be disposed of properly so that it does not attract pigeons.
e. Post educational advertisements and reports in the papers on the issue.
Live and let live. Show the world that Singapore is not only a society advanced materially, it is also a land of greenery where its citizens live in harmony with nature and are caring towards weaker beings.
The government wants to promote active citizenry. Please do your part by listening to us when we do speak up. Please do the RIGHT thing and stop adopting the same old method that is easy but that has never worked.
(For more information on effective and humane pigeon control, please visit Pigeon Control Advisory Service @ http://www.picasuk.com/do_birds_spread_diseases.html)
Thank you for reading and we hope to see a positive change and a more compassionate leadership.