Friday, August 14, 2009

Why cull stray cats that have been sterilised?

MY PAPER
FRIDAY AUGUST 14, 2009

RECENTLY, one of the sterilised stray cats which I have been feeding at Marine Crescent disappeared.

I was worried about its fate, so I called the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore.

It confirmed that the cat had been brought in by a pest-control company contracted by the Marine Parade Town Council (MPTC) and that the animal had been euthanised.

When I called the MPTC officer in charge of our estate, Mr Mohammad Ismail, he sidestepped my questions and hung up on the pretext that he would check with the pest-control company.

I expected him to return my call but he didn’t. I called the MPTC several more times over the next two days and left messages for him, but to no avail.

I also tried a few times to speak to Ms Jenny Wong, the MPTC’s senior property manager but, again, I received no reply.

I am deeply disappointed over the handling of this issue.

Further discussion could have thrown up viable alternatives to the culling of stray cats that have already been neutered.

Recent reports have praised the efforts of Housing Board residents who pooled resources to sterilise and care for stray cats in their neighbourhoods. They serve as examples of a gracious society, but the MPTC’s actions stand in stark contrast to this emerging trend.

Miss Cheng Siew Luang


Marine Parade Town Council's Website

To speak to
Senior Property Officer MUHD ISMAIL (muhdismail@mptc.org.sg) or Ms Jenny Wong (jennywongss@mptc.org.sg)

Call
Blk 50 Marine Terrace #01-265
Singapore 440050
Tel: 6241 6044
Toll free line: 1800-241 6487
Fax: 6444 0919


http://www.mptc.org.sg/4b_Feedback.htm
or email to
internet@mptc.org.sg